Old Grandma Carols Cottage Pie
This is an old family favorite passed down from generation to generation. It’s simple to make and is just the thing to eat after a long day at work. Enjoy!
- 500g minced beef
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 peeled and chopped onion
- 2 peeled and diced carrots
- 250g sliced mushrooms
- 2 level tbsp plain flour
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 beef stock cube
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tin of Baked beans
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 450g mashed potato
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan or large frying pan, add the onion and carrots and cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have started to soften.
- Add the beef to the pan and cook for about 5-10 minutes, stirring to break up the meat, until it browns. Once the meat is crumbly, stir occasionally to prevent it sticking and burning,
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for a 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the flour and stir for 3-4 minutes to cook the flour. The flour will absorb the fat that comes out of the meat and thickens the sauce.
- Add the can of tomatoes, sprinkle in the stock cube and bring to the boil, stirring continually, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until it thickens slightly. Stir the Worcestershire sauce into mince.
- Finally add the can of baked beans and stir in well.
- Spoon into a dish and level the surface.
- Beat the potato to soften it and spread over the mince. Score the surface with a fork and put butter on top.
- Bake in the center of the oven for about 20-30 minutes at 200C or until the pie is golden and the filling is bubbling. Serve straight from the oven.